Skip to main content

Appreciating Family





One thing I took for granted growing up and now as an adult I appreciate is growing up in a tight-knit Mexican American family. I'm not just talking about my siblings, who I'm incredibly close to, but my extended family: grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, nieces, or nephews. Being a close family comes with its pros and cons. We're in EVERYONE's business, but honestly we do it because we care. 

Some of my favorite memories growing up include my cousins. Like the time Tia Lola and Tio Pilar took Mary, Tre, Miriam, and me to see Hocus Pocus in theaters. As adults every Halloween we recall that experience. How scared we were driving back home in the back roads in Harlingen because what if one of the Sanderson sisters would chase us wanting to put us under their spell and suck out our youth? What would we do? Yes, we had a wild imagination! To this day that is my favorite Halloween movie.

The Christmas season always brings the memories of the Ramos grandkids sleepover at Mami Luz's and Papi Neo's house. The girls always getting overruled since there were only four of us at that time so we were stuck watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the ENTIRE NIGHT. Thankfully there were three parts or else we would've seen the same movie over and over again. Now as adults the Ramos granddaughters can still quote any of the three Ninja Turtle movies! 

Family is incredibly important to me. Our family was humble and often didn't have material luxuries but love and faith were always overflowing. We've been through life's ups and downs. We've celebrated marriages, births, graduations, and new career opportunities. We've held each other through the loss of relationships, jobs, and family members especially the head of our family, our grandparents.

Family was my strength even when I lost my faith. They were my constant support and encouragement often lifting me up in prayer.

It's funny when I speak to people who tell me they have a small number of cousins. My usual reaction? "You only have two cousins?! What is that like?" Yes, families come in all sorts of sizes but I'm so thankful God gave me my large family. 

As we've grown up our get-togethers are fewer and far between but when we see each other it's like time and distance doesn't affect our bond. The bond that I will never take for granted. 

To my family, the Ramos and Rosales: I thank each and every single one of you for simply being you. For adding to our family your uniqueness, intelligence, spunk, and sense of humor. We've shared laughs, holidays, worries, fears, and loss but most importantly we've shared a strong bloodline that time nor distance can take away. Thank you for all the experiences we've shared. I love you! 

Below are a few of my favorite pictures of my incredible family. 

Until next time, Lulu 

Primas celebrating Estrella's & Vicente's marriage

My siblings with our mom on Mother's Day

Mary, Tre, Miriam, and me celebrating my 1st Communion. This was about the time we saw Hocus Pocus in theaters.

My Papi Neo & Mami Luz plus Miriam on my 4th birthday.

Tia Jane and Tio Juan were in town. This was the family introducing Loteria to Tia Jane.

One of the many family trips to Palmita aka my dad's hometown in Mexico.

This was Checo's birthday many years ago. 

Mother's Day with my Mami Luz. Pictured: Big Rigo, Rigo, Little Rigo, Saul Checo, Eric, and Mami Luz

Our family's first trip road trip to North Dakota to visit Tio Juan and the girls (Veronica & Tracy). This was the morning we left back to Texas.

Tere, Gaby, Tia Licha (you can barely see her), Gordo, Mary, Miriam, and me at the Ranch in Santa Irene, Tamps. 

One of the many Rosales Christmases when we were a lot less. The last count I made there were 76 of us that's not including spouses. In the picture: Tia Licha, Gaby, Tio Ovido, Gordo, David, Tina, Danny, Javier, Gerardo, Mary, Nick, Tere, and Nora. Not too sure who's Santa Claus or the baby! 

We were the trio growing up: Miriam, Mary, and me 

Who's Madrina and Tia dressed up as clowns for her 3rd birthday? Mine! 

We celebrate everything and especially when our family from Nevada and North Dakota are in town! Mom and Dad's anniversary with Tia Jane, Tracy, and Tio Juan.

My Golden Girls: Tia Emma, Tia Lola, and mom. Just missing my Tia Celia

To this day I love my Padrino to pieces!

Rosales family day at the zoo. 

Rosales family at Mamo & Papo's final resting place. Pictured: Tere, Tre, Junior, Raul, Mary, Gaby, Juan Luis, Miriam, and me.

This will forever be one of my favorite pictures of my grandparents. Those smiles are priceless! Pictured: Miriam, me, Papi Neo, Lilly, Big Rigo, Oscar, Nune, Evelyn, and Mami Luz

My Tio Neo & Tia Esmer's wedding. Pictured: Miriam, me, Big Rigo, Aide, Lilly, Yoana, Oscar, Marina, Tio Neo & Tia Esmer.

This girl has been my partner in crime since the day she was born, my Lilly. 

My role model since my first day out of the womb: my sister Miriam! 

The Leals aka my second family: Oscar, Gladys, Vicky, Alex, Genesis, Star, Marlen, and Ram

New Years Eve: Tia Nena, Rigo, mom, Checo, Miriam, James, Saul, Tia Dina, Padrino, & Christie
Growing up a Ramos there were more males than females which meant never a dull moment! 
































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's about time...

I've been talking about starting my own blog for years now but I always let fear of criticism get the best of me. But as one of my favorite saints St. Pope John Paul II says "Be not afraid" So here I am fearlessly sharing a piece of me with you.  So what will Fearless Lulu consist of? It all just depends on the day and mood. It might be about faith, family, or just something funny that happened to me. Writing really became an outlet for me when I went through a tough breakup. I turned to my faith and spent many hours in the Confessional seeking grace and forgiveness for my anger, hurt, and sadness. I will always give credit to God and Father Joel who advised me to express my feelings in writing to help the healing process. Praise & glory to God because that is exactly what I needed!  Today's post will be short, sweet, and to the point. So until next time, be fearless!

I am enough

I am part of a club I never thought I would ever be a part of the "I've been cheated on" club. No one truly understands the effects of infidelity until you're living it. I don't desire this pain and heartache on anyone. It's been three years yet I am still dealing with some of the wounds left behind.  Even speaking about it has its scars. The first time I decided to publish something about the entire ordeal my ex's sister attacked me saying how I was going to affect his career. Yes, she made him the victim.  For a long time, that situation silenced my voice. For a moment I thought I would never share my story but God had a different plan.  Recovering from infidelity was one of the loneliest and hardest times in my life. One thing I asked God was that I wanted good to come out of this heartache. I didn't want other women to feel lonely. God started bringing women into my life who were also victims of infidelity. I pray for them, encourag